Even though tax season is over, keeping on top of your taxes doesn’t hurt.


Here are some simple things taxpayers can do throughout the year to make filing season less stressful, according to a news release.

Organize Tax Records

Create a system that keeps all important information together. Taxpayers can use a software program for electronic recordkeeping or store paper documents in clearly labeled folders. They should add tax records to their files as they receive them. Organized records will make tax return preparation easier and may help taxpayers discover overlooked deductions or credits.

Identify Filing Status

A taxpayer’s filing status determines their filing requirements, standard deduction, eligibility for certain cr, edits, and the correct amount of tax they should pay. If more than one filing status applies to a taxpayer, they can get help choosing the best one for their tax situation with the IRS’s Interactive Tax Assistant, What is my filing status? Changes in family life — marriage, divorce, birth, and death — may affect a person’s tax situation, including their filing status and eligibility for certain tax credits and deductions.

Understand adjusted gross income (AGI).

AGI and tax rate are important factors in figuring taxes. AGI is the taxpayer’s income from all sources minus any adjustments. Generally, the higher a taxpayer’s AGI, the higher their tax rate and the more tax they pay. Tax planning can include changes during the year that lower a taxpayer’s AGI.

Check Withholding

Since federal taxes operate on a pay-as-you-go basis, taxpayers must pay most of taxes taxes as they earn income. Taxpayers should check that they’re withholding enough from their pay to cover their taxes owed, especially if their personal or financial situations change during the year. To check withholding, taxpayers can use the IRS Withholding Estimator. If they want to change their tax withholding, taxpayers should provide their employer with an updated Form W-4.

Make Address and Name Changes

Taxpayers should notify the United States Postal Service, employers, and the IRS of any address change. To officially change a mailing address with the IRS, taxpayers must complete Form 8822, Change of Address, and mail it to the correct address for their area. For detailed instructions, see page 2 of the form. Report any name change to the Social Security Administration. Making these changes as soon as possible will help make filing their tax return easier.

Save for Retirement

Saving for retirement can also lower a taxpayer’s AGI. Certain contributions to a retirement plan at work and to a traditional IRA may also reduce taxable income.

Source: IRS