It may not seem like an obvious travel choice but it looks like Egypt is once again the fastest-growing international destination for U.S. travelers.
Egpyt is home to the Sphynx, ancient monuments like no other, grand bazaars for shopping, exotic food, and friendly people. While there you can enjoy time in the capital of Cairo or take an excursion to parts unknown. Wherever you go in Egypt you are sure to have a great time; you might want to look for a guide while there who is local or travel with a group.
However, before you set off for the pyramids and all things pharaohs, one report shows new destinations are on the rise, according to the travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth.
So, if you are looking for the latest and most exciting places to go aboard Squaremouth reveals new travel trends for the top 5 fastest-growing international destinations, it said in a news release.
5 Fastest-Growing International Destinations for U.S. Travelers
- Egypt remains the fastest-growing international destination for the second year in a row with an 84% increase in travelers this year.
- Puerto Rico secures a top 5 spot with a 42% increase, just two years after the impact of Hurricane Maria.
- Portugal returns to the top 5 list after experiencing slow growth in 2018.
- U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Portugal, and Panama have surpassed Morocco, Tanzania, and Colombia as the top 5 fastest-growing tourist destinations over last year.
Year Over Year Increase
U.S. Virgin Islands
Average Trip Cost Increases Slightly
- Trip cost increased less than 2% on average for the top 5 destinations.
- Travelers heading to Egypt saw the highest increase and spent most of their trips, with an average cost of $5,145.
- Travelers going to Panama spent the least at $3,023.
Average Trip Cost
Year Over Year Change
U.S. Virgin Islands
All Generations Enjoy Top Destinations
- Millennial travel saw the highest increase in tourism to Panama, more than doubling over last year.
- Egypt saw the highest increases from Gen Z, Baby Boomer, and Silent Generation travelers.
Surprising Decrease for Popular Destinations
- Iceland grew significantly in popularity in 2017 and 2018, however, the closure of low-cost carrier WOW Airline in March 2019 may have contributed to a 13.28% decline this past year.
- Russia and China also saw a slowdown in growth, decreasing by 4.74% and 4.40% respectively.
Year Over Year Decrease
Methodology: Data is based on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth.com for travel between 1/1/2019-12/31/2019. Statistics reflect year-over-year changes unless otherwise noted.
Wherever you decide to travel be sure you have all the appropriate documents, proper clothing, and other necessities so your vacation is a success