If you’re planning a spring or summer getaway that hopefully includes a sandy beach keep reading as a new report reveals the best beaches around the world that travelers say are making a splash.
Just in time as winter in the Northern Hemisphere comes with continuous cold fronts, Tripadvisor is sharing a dose of sunshine with its highly anticipated annual ranking to guide you to your dream 2022 getaway.
For many sun-seekers, visiting the beach is the reason they go on vacation. Sitting by the ocean with your feet in the sand is the hallmark of relaxation for many of us – especially over the past few years.
The survey revealed that 37 percent of American travelers will take a beach trip in 2022. If you’re one of the many looking for a relaxing getaway, browse these award-winning beaches along with guidance from fellow travelers on the best ways to experience them to make your pick.
“We know a perfect day at the beach looks different from one person to the next. Some love classic soft white sand and sunbathing, while others love exploring rocky coves. This list has something for everyone because it was determined by the millions of different travelers all over the world reviewing their favorite beaches on Tripadvisor throughout 2021. Although last year was still far from ‘normal,’ these are the beaches travelers visited and loved more than any others,” said Christine Maguire, VP, Global Media Business at Tripadvisor in a news release. “Whether you’re looking for a trip where you can continue to social distance outdoors, or are comfortable heading to spring break, beaches are the perfect place to be in 2022, and the Travelers’ Choice Awards can guide you to the best ones for you.”
The number one beach on the planet determined by travelers this year is Grace Bay Beach in Turks and Caicos. With over 7,200 reviews to date (90% of which are 5-bubble), this quintessential Caribbean paradise has travelers raving about its white sand and crystal-clear water. If you’re looking to explore the island, up-level your Grace Bay trip by booking one of the travelers’ favorite experiences, 4 Hour Group Catamaran Sail and Snorkel Tour or Parasailing Adventure from Providenciales.
In The U.S.
Here in the U.S., travelers have crowned a brand-new winner for 2022: Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area in Hawaii. On the Big Island of Hawaii, Hapuna Beach has the perfect waves for surfing, boogie boarding, and body surfing, according to visitors. Hawaii, although home to many Travelers’ Choice Beach winners year after year, has not had the No. 1 beach in the country since 2014. The Aloha State is finally back on top after losing out to Florida for the past eight years, according to the news release.
Top 10 Beaches in the U.S. for 2022
- Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area – Puako, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “It is remarkably challenging to find large, white sandy beaches on the Big Island with water that is peaceful enough for swimming, and this one ticks all the boxes. Even better, right in the middle of the beach and close to shore, there is a small set of rocks that provided some of the best snorkeling we saw on the island! The water was crystal clear and the brightly colored tropical fish plentiful.” – @Erika H
- Siesta Beach – Siesta Key, Florida
- Traveler tip: “Absolutely beautiful beach with silky quartz sand! Great beach for people watching, sunsets, breakfast/morning walk on the beach and finding sand dollars.” – @Nik
- Poipu Beach Park – Poipu, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “I highly recommend going at sunset and you will see the sea turtles come onto the beach. It is very magical and something you will not be able to experience other places.” – @CourtneyandScott
- Moonstone Beach – Cambria, California
- Traveler tip: “Moonstone Beach is a lovely place to walk, unwind and meet friendly dogs. Look for the bench that is partially hidden by the tree.” – @Janet M
- Kailua Beach Park – Kailua, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “The water at Kailua was the most beautiful shade of turquoise and almost blinding. There were numerous kite surfers, which only added to the beauty of the beach. There is also a very cute mom-and-pop grocery store behind the beach (Kalapawai Market) that makes delicious made-to-order sandwiches—perfect for the beach.” – @cbattsolutions
- Driftwood Beach – Jekyll Island, Georgia
- Traveler tip: “I’ve been to many beaches, but none like this one. A great visual sight awaits you when you visit…Go at the ‘golden hour’ to get some great photos, or just hang out for the day and have a picnic.” – @roadpeops
- Ruby Beach – Olympic National Park, Washington
- Traveler tip: “It’s a delightful spot that is well worth your time. Be sure to bring a sweatshirt or light jacket as Pacific Coast beaches can feel chilly on a windy day. The rock formations here are just gorgeous – if you’re lucky to arrive on a sunny afternoon, try to visit the beach as the sun is descending! If you have very young children, they can wade in the shallow tide pools which are a safe distance away from the surf.” – @Gilber20
- Cannon Beach – Cannon Beach, Oregon
- Traveler tip: “Cannon Beach is very big. A beach for people who like to walk. The large sea stacks are great for photographers. Muggy mornings and lots of fog. Great shops to walk through. Parking can be terrible at times…Tip, get there early in the morning.” – @Louis R
- La Jolla Cove – La Jolla, California
- Traveler tip: “We just loved the place. If you are an animal lover it is a must. We spent hours watching the seals and sea lions and their frolicking around. You can get to them quite close.” – @Jadranka P
- Ho’okipa Beach Park – Paia, Hawaii
- Traveler tip: “If you love huge, beautiful sea turtles, or if you’ve never seen one, DO NOT MISS this opportunity. Not far from the world-famous Mama’s Fish House, this beach is known as a “resting spot” for sea turtles, who come ashore to rest & sunbathe.” – @Gwen H
Top 10 Beaches in the World for 2022
- Grace Bay Beach – Grace Bay, Turks, and Caicos
- Varadero Beach – Varadero, Cuba
- Turquoise Bay – Exmouth, Australia
- Quarta Praia – Morro de Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Eagle Beach – Palm – Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Radhanagar Beach – Havelock Island, India
- Baia do Sancho – Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Trunk Bay Beach – Virgin Islands National Park, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Baía dos Golfinhos – Praia da Pipa, Brazil
- Spiaggia dei Conigli – Lampedusa, Italy
See all the Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best Beach winners for 2022 here: tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches.
The Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards honor travelers’ favorite beaches worldwide, based on the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings from Tripadvisor travelers for beaches, gathered over the 12 months from Jan. 1, 2021, through Dec. 31, 2021.